ISRA MEDICAL JOURNAL p-ISSN: 2073-8285
e-ISSN: 2413-9289
Excellence in Medical Education
الخميس 15 جمادى الثانية 1440
Thursday 21st February 2019
Current Issue:
Volume 10 - Issue 6, Nov - Dec 2018
Archives Plagiarism Policy Review Policy Instructions for Authors Instructions for Reviewer Review Process Manuscript Submission Ahead of Printing Article Tracking
IMJ is recognized by;

- Higher Education Commision of Pakistan (HEC)
- Pakistan Medical & Dental Council (PMDC)

IMJ is Covered by;
- Directory of Open Access scholarly Resources (ROAD)
- EBSCO
- Index Copernicus International (IC Journals Master List)
- Index Medicus for the Eastern Mediterranean Region (IMEMR)
- PakMediNet
- ScopeMed
Title:
Effect of Nasal Surgery on Eustachian Tube Function and Middle Ear Ventilation
Authors:
Samina Farooqi, Ghulam Saqulain, Nazia Mumtaz
Published on:
2018-12-21
Journal Reference:
Volume 10 - Issue 6     Nov - Dec 2018
Pages:
336-339
Download Abstract:
Abstract
 
OBJECTIVE: To evaluate the effect of nasal surgery on Eustachian Tube Function (ETF) and Middle Ear (ME) ventilation.
STUDY DESIGN: Quasi experimental single group study.
PLACE AND DURATION: Audiology Section of ENT Department of Lahore General Hospital, over a period of 1 year from 1st August 2015 to 31st July 2016.
METHODOLOGY: Patients who presented with nasal obstruction and were planned for surgery were included using non probability sampling technique. Acoustic impedance test (tympanometry), with Valsalva and Toynbee Tests was performed one day pre-operatively and 30 days post-operatively and results noted. In Valsalva test, the effect of high positive nasopharyngeal pressures at the proximal end of the Eustachian tube was evaluated by obtaining an experimental tympanogram, while in Toynbee test, a tympanometric peak pressure shift of >10 daPa indicated good ETF. 
RESULTS: Among total of 75 patients, 80% were diagnosed with type B graph whereas 20% with type C graph preoperatively, among 80% Type B graph cases, 62% improved to Type C. The remaining 38% patients with Type B and all patients of Type C graphs i.e., 20% of the total cases, improved to Type A (Normal graph), indicating significant improvement. Pearson correlation between the two variables i.e., pressure on Eustachian tube (daPa) before surgery (DaPaBS) and after surgery (DaPaAS), was significant with a value of 0.858 indicating a positive association.
CONCLUSION: Nasal surgery results in improvement in Eustachian tube functions and middle ear ventilation.
KEYWORDS: Nasal obstruction, Nasal surgery, Eustachian tube, Middle ear ventilation, Acoustic impedance tests.
 
HOW TO CITE THIS:


Farooqi S, Saqulain G, Mumtaz N. Effect of Nasal Surgery on Eustachian Tube Function and Middle Ear Ventilation.Isra Med J. 2018; 10(6): 336-339.


This is an Open Access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 4.0 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.